Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 4: Mary Hidden in Advent-Noah


     When teaching the Faith to children, the best approach I have found is little and often.  Just 10-15 minutes a day to light a candle, say a few prayers, read a short Jesse tree story, hang an ornament, and then make a few comments about Our Lady is all I do.  Sometimes, though, it takes longer as questions are asked and answered....this is where a child makes the Faith his or her own.


Day 4:  Noah and the Flood
     Read The Jesse Tree pp. 16-19.  Hang ornament (rainbow).
     A cataclysmic flood destroys all mankind.  Only faithful Noah and his family are saved by hiding in a large wooden ark along with many animals.  God promises that He will never again destroy the earth with a flood.

     Scripture reference: Genesis 7:6-9:17

     Comment:  As Noah took refuge in the ark when judgement came to the earth, so also we take refuge in Mary.  She intercedes for us before the Father and she brings us safely to the Son.  Her prayers keep us from sin and strengthen us in temptation.

Related Title:  Mary, Refuge of Sinners


     "There is certainly nothing contrary to faith in this, but the reverse. It is quite in accordance with the sentiments of the Church, which, in its public and approved prayers, teaches us continually to have recourse to this divine Mother, and to invoke her as the "health of the weak, the refuge of sinners, the help of Christians, and as our life and hope."  St. Alphonsus Liguori

Prayer to Mary, Refuge of Sinners by St. Alphonsus Liguori

     O most holy and pure Virgin! O my Mother! You who are the Mother of my Lord, the Queen of the world, the advocate and refuge of sinners! I, a most wretched sinner, now come to you. I honor you, great Queen, and give you humble thanks for the many favors which have come to me in the past through your intercession. I love you, Lady most worthy of all love, and by the love which I bear you, I promise ever in the future to honor you, and to do what lies in me to win others to your love. Receive me as your servant, and cover me with the mantle of your protection, you who are the Mother of mercy! And since you have so much power with God, implore him to deliver me from all temptations, and to give me the grace ever to overcome them. Pray for me that I may love Christ in this world as you love him, and intercede for me that I may have the grace of a good death. O my Mother! by your love for God I beseech you to be at all times my helper, but above all at the last moment of my life. Cease not your supplications until you see me safe in heaven, there for countless ages to bless you and, your holy company, to worship and adore your Son, for ever and ever. Amen.

More lovely reading on Our Lady can be found (for free!) at The Glories of Mary (scroll down). 

No comments:

Post a Comment