Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 18: Mary Hidden in Advent- Elijah

Gerard Horenbout, 1510-20. The Getty Museum

Day 16: Elijah and the Prophets of Baal

     Read The Jesse Tree, pp. 61-65.  Hang the ornament (altar with fire).
     Elijah confronts the pagan prophets and demonstrates the mighty power of the One True God on Mt. Carmel.

     Scripture reference:  1 Kings 18:17-40

     Comments:  On Mt. Carmel, Elijah opposes all the priests of the pagan god Baal.  He demonstrates the mighty power of the True God of Israel and alone begins to restore the people of Israel to faith.  Mary is known as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in her role as the patroness of the Carmelite order.  Just as Elijah defeated the prophets of Baal through faith and prayer, so the Carmelites dedicate themselves to prayer and enter the mighty battle for the conversion of all souls.

Related Title: Our Lady of Mt. Carmel

"Those who want to live their devotion to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel to the full must follow Mary into the depths of her interior life. Carmel is the symbol of the contemplative life, the life wholly dedicated to the quest for God, wholly orientated towards intimacy with God; and the one who has best realized this highest of ideals is Our Lady herself, 'Queen and Splendor of Carmel'." Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalene de' Pazzi, OCD

Prayer to Our Lady of Mount Carmel

O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin, assist me in this my necessity. O Star of the Sea, help me and show me herein that you are my Mother.
O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart, to succor me in this my necessity. There are none that can withstand your power. O show me herein that you are my Mother.
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us that have recourse to thee. (3 times)


Women for Faith and Family have an article about the Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.
For more history, Wikipedia has a decent article.

2 comments:

  1. I have been following along with your Mary Hidden In Advent posts and loving them. I noticed today however, that it skipped from Day 14 to Day 16? Should it really be 15, or did I miss a day somewhere?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I took care of this...I love to hear comments!

    ReplyDelete