Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday of Holy Week: The Widow's Mite

The Widow's Mite, Rembrandt, drawing

Today we open egg number three.  Inside there are some small cloth bags, each one having two copper pennies inside.  These coins represent the "widow's mite"--her very small offering to God.  We read of the widow's generosity and trust today in Mark 12: 41-44.  We are humbled by the faith of this poor, nameless woman.  How she must have consoled the heart of Jesus without ever even knowing He was watching!  I love this particular passage, because I often feel I am giving out of my poverty--my poverty of charity, my poverty of time, my poverty of cheerfulness of duty.  My heart is comforted to know that my Lord sees my poverty and that it is my very weaknesses that make my gifts to Him and to my family so precious in His eyes.


Our tree on Tuesday of Holy Week


P.S.  The change of location of the tree was because of the brilliant sunlight streaming through my kitchen windows, making a photograph impossible!  This year, we are keeping the tree in the kitchen because that is where we eat when my hubby is working away.  Other years, we put it on the dining room table you see above.  We do whatever works...and I hope you do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment