Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Discernment

St. Ignatius of Loyola
     I have just finished watching the most helpful set of tapes on living and being victorious in the spiritual life that I have ever enjoyed.  The series is entitled Living the Discerning Life  by Fr. Timothy Gallagher, and it is available at EWTN.   I actually ordered the complete DVD set,  and I'm glad I did, because I will certainly watch it several more times.

     Fr. Gallagher applies the  Fourteen Rules of St. Ignatius 
to the daily spiritual life.  In the series, he helps us learn to be aware of our spiritual state,  to understand it by reflecting on causes and surrounding circumstances, and to accept the actions of God and reject the deceits and temptations of the devil, the flesh, and the world.  He clearly explains the ways in which God brings great victory and spiritual growth out of times of desolation.  Most importantly, he uses the Fourteen Rules to give us tools to stand firm in temptation, to reject the lies of spiritual desolation, and to turn our minds to God at all times.  


     I can't recommend this wonderful lecture series highly enough, especially if you are in times of spiritual desolation or struggling with temptation.  Watching it gave me hope and specific advice that I know will help me grow spiritually and love God more.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline, I've awarded you the Liebster Award for your blog. Please visit my post and join in! http://mostlybluewithatouchofpink.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks, Stephanie! I have no idea what that award is :), but any award is nice! I'll be over to join you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds wonderful, Caroline! I really like St Ignatius's rules and I like the idea of using them as tools.

    By the way, thank you so much for the award on my blog!

    Also, I haven't been online much recently and so I haven't visited your site in a while -- I love the changes you've made in the look and style.

    ReplyDelete